Skip to main content

V33. The Weekend Devoted to Community Outreach and Birthdays. by Kathy Vivian Fabian

Deciding the Weekend Work Plan.

I had been  devoting Saturdays to the Valuable Gallery and Sundays to the Art Fabian Company Outreach.  The Outreach is a program in which I reach out to important patrons and friends in the community.  They could be local business of note or people on my birthday list.  The plan is that each month ten individuals are chosen and they are given a personally written letter by myself.  This is to establish good relations between myself and my Company and the community around us.

I was surprised to see how late in the month we were when I was deciding what to schedule in for Saturday Gallery work.  I had also had a little trouble meeting the deadline for the January Outreach.  So I decided to start working on the February Outreach in the morning on Saturday.  I would see how far I had gotten and would decide the next move when I broke for lunch.

Figuring out Birthday Text and Blueprints

Its lucky that I did this.  By the time lunch came I had only done one letter.  It had seemed that everything would be done on time.  I had found a very nice blueprint to write the birthday texts and had all of them mapped out the day before.  Much to my dismay, when I opened the letters to print them out, I found that only the blueprint had been registered when I saved the individual letters.  All the text that I wrote had disappeared.

So I spent a large amount of energy trying to figure out how to rectify the situation.  And time.  Finally when I got both the text and the beautiful green backdrop definitely on the machine, and printed them all out, the text was too small and too hard to see.  So I had to go back and find a good solid font to make the writing evident.  Finally I found the font that fit into the format of the letter and then I made it into bold letters.  The final results were attractive not perfect but I had run out of the time I wanted to use, so they went as they were.

All this meant that the letters (which would be sent by regular mail) would not arrive on time for most of the birthdays.  I emailed a quick text message to two of the recipients of which I had contact online.

A Special Birthday Problem

There was another problem and the solution finished up all the studio time of Saturday. So I had to continue onto the Sunday.  One of my friends had just turned ninety years old.  Her birthday card had already been done but I  did not know her age.  I did not feel comfortable sending just a birthday card without noting the special occasion.  So that meant finding a text and a card that would be appropriate and doing the whole thing again.  I found a good ninety year old text online luckily so that did not take so much time.    the problem was that I did not feel comfortable with the font that I used on the other letters.  It was a little small for her or for the person who would read her the letter. I went online to see what I could find.  right away I found a good blueprint of which I could put two good pictures from the times we had celebrated together.   But I came across another obstacle.

I could not find any of the pictures that I had kept throughout the years.  This frustrated me so considerably that I went through all my system of photographs to see if I could find them. And since they were in great disorder, I organized them.  And there the time flew by.

Finally after a lot of work and hours had passed I remembered I had used another text backdrop for the January campaign.  I left the photographs alone and made do with the other blueprint minus any photographs.  To this day  I still cannot find them.  I guess I am going to have to go back in to one of my other hard disks that I backed up stuff with.  

Synopsis

Finally I got five of the ten outreach letters done by the end of the weekend. It is lucky that I started first thing Saturday morning. I also did some work on writing birthday messages for the women in the place I live in.  I have a blueprint of ten different quotes that I will put on visitors cards to give to neighbors who celebrate their birthday.  I also found a great program that lets me customize my address labels so that I can print them out.  That means that next time I write out address labels I can use the printer and not do them by hand.

by Kathy Vivian Fabian

So this past weekend I devoted entirely to work centering around birthdays.  I am writing this letter on Tuesday and by this time I had managed to put in some time to do some work on the Valuable Gallery.  Yesterday I filmed the Rose Studio in Situ and today I did the Corridor Gallery.

Next Saturday will be nearly the end of the month.  I am going to do the same thing that I did this past weekend.  I will start on the Outreach letters Saturday morning and plan the weekend accordingly.  If time permits I will start work a good solid list for printing out all my address labels for all the birthdays at one time.  I fear this will take more than one weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

vg1. Introducing Val Gal by Kathy Fabian

September 9, 2015 In the romantic novels the artist goes way up to his tiny attic on the very top of his house to create and be free.  Sometimes it has a great view of Paris.  Or sometimes the person is a writer who creates great novels and ideas. They both seal themselves from the rest of the world to do great things.  Well why not imitate?   I live in a woman's residence in a very small room. When I first arrived I imagined it as a womb.  A creative womb in which I would heal and rest and create great art.  I would sit on the bed cross yoga position with hands on my legs and look out the window and the blue sky. I would imagine I meditated.   I would imagine I was one with the blue sky. Well years have gone by and I no longer think of the room as a womb.  It became a small and impoverished cell for a while and then my imagination took over again.  I thought of it much like that attic. So now it is my studio in which I develop and frame the photographs that I create.  I ha

V24. Sparkling for the Celebrations. New Vintage Jewelry

Superstitious?  What kind of rituals do you follow for good luck?  For myself, I like to take advantage of special times to see if I can reap good fortune.  For example, if I have something important to organize I am likely to do it on a Holiday or on Sunday. So planning this week's Studio work was a no brainer.  I had recently received a large amount of old jewelry from an estate. The choicer pieces had long gone and these were left.  They were supposed to be unsellable.  So I asked how they were organized. I said if you give almost them to me, I will organize them for you in the proper way.  But I was given them instead. The owner felt they were just cluttering up the house.  Luckily I have my jewelry collection. To get them they had to be quickly boxed and taken off the premises.  But once I brought them home, there was no time to organize them anymore because of the Holiday Preparations.  So this Saturday I took some time to clean the antique jewelery and to put them pro

v10 Happy Thanksgiving, Construction sites, Autumn Days and Muses. By Kathy Fabian

Happy Thanksgiving to All! I hope you enjoyed your day and will look forward to many things to give thanks for until the next Thanksgiving. Get the exquisite image on this blog post.  Custom Made!   You Deserve the Luxury. And you support the Artist. Write  kfabian.kathynotes@gmail.com   for inquiries.    The leaves are brightly colored outside.  And the days sunny. So I went into my archives to find some images with splendid autumn foliage.  Saturday I reserved for studio work .  I had been tidying up my collection of muses and had a few lovely ladies ready to star in my photographic extravaganzas.  The final element was the inclusion of the very expensive, very evident presence of construction in the neighborhood. I had a lot of autumn pictures but I wanted to showcase technology and machines.  As luck would have it we were having some road repair done right outside our house.  And voila I had the tree elements with very little trouble;  Construction sites, beautiful